Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Whole Foods Tuna Salad Re-mixed

I was never a huge fan of relish in my tuna salad, so I finally borrowed a recipe from the New Orleans Whole Foods, circa 2004. I later tweaked it to make it cheaper to replicate.

I'm sort of loose about the quantities. If I'm making the tuna salad for my sister, it gets more mayonnaise. If I'm feeling puffy, I go lo-fat. I fold in onion until it all tastes right.

My recipe, briefly
  • Canned Albacore tuna
  • Canola mayonnaise
  • Red onion, finely chopped
  • Dill
  • Fresh squeezed lime juice*
  • Salt and pepper and/or Tony's Chachere's seasoning
If you're not sure how to combine these various things, please beg your roomate or significant other to show you. Then, sit for five minutes in a dark corner and worry you'll never make a good parent. Just kidding. I know a bunch of kids who won't go near the stuff.

The big secret to my tuna salad is that I haven't used fresh dill in years. I never quite mastered not water-logging it in the strainer. I use freeze dried herbs from a company called Litehouse. Their online prices seem fairly comparable to what you'll find at the market. Though I've only prepared my tuna salad in a household kitchen, I'll bet freeze dried dill is great for camping, and even better for the Alaskan Iditarod, should you fly that way.

I bought my jar at Whole Foods, about as long ago as I face-lifted their recipe, trading out lemon for lime, and going cheap and practical on the dill.

Back in college, I babysat the children of a New Orleans heath and fitness expert. His personal chef substituted olive oil and vinegar for the mayonnaise. If you're feeling skilled–which I rarely am–go for it. And let me know what the outcome is.



No comments:

Post a Comment